John Foy QC specialises in serious personal injury and clinical negligence cases, occupational disease litigation and costs. Most of his cases nowadays are brain damage, paraplegics, amputations etc. He has appeared in many reported cases on these topics and has conducted occupational disease litigation since the 1970s especially relating to asbestos and cancers. Cases include Corr v IBC Vehicles (suicide as a result of industrial injury), Hawley v Luminar (vicarious liability) and he acted for the coal miners in their groundbreaking group litigation for respiratory disease which led directly to the setting up of the miners’ compensation scheme.
He has expertise in costs, particularly in a personal injury / clinical negligence context and has been involved in many of the leading cases in this area, including being instructed by APIL on behalf of its members in Myatt v NCB. He is a former chair of the Bar Council CFA Panel. He was involved in the drafting of the original APIL / PIBA CFA and many subsequent CFA's and CCFA's.
He taught advocacy at Gray’s Inn, where he is a Bencher and sat as a judge of the Mental Health Tribunal and as a Recorder trying civil, criminal and family cases.
What the directories say
- "A brilliant barrister who is excellent on his feet." - Chambers UK 2020
- "He has an ability to think outside the initial issues." - Legal 500 2020
- "A vastly experienced personal injury silk and tough negotiator". "Gives no-nonsense advice and produces great results". Chambers UK 2018
- "Excellent counsel and has deep legal knowledge* Legal 500 2018 in which he is a tier 1 counsel for industrial disease.
- "He's fantastic, very confident yet down-to-earth. He's a joy to work with and fosters really collaborative relationships. His ability to cut through a lot of information and get to the salient point is extraordinary to watch, and he's exceptional with clients." Chambers UK 2017
- “He has an extraordinary grasp of what does and does not matter, and gets right to the heart of an issue.” Legal 500 2017
- "Super bright, completely unflappable and incredibly experienced." Legal 500 2018
- "A real heavyweight in the personal injury " Chambers UK 2018
Click here to download.